konalavadome

Sandcastle Heart (UPDATED ARRANGEMENT! REAL PIANO!! :D )

• 26 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« on: August 08, 2016, 06:36:48 AM »
Hey guys,

I've literally just finished this song a couple of days ago.Weirdly for me I wrote it quite quickly and out of the blue while I was waiting for some lyrical inspiration on a different song.I do find it odd/weird how these songs seem to spring on us at the strangest times,I'm sure others can relate?

Anyway,I woke up the other night to a beautiful,but bloody bright moon that was shining directly through the smallest gap in our curtains right into my face! Anyway as beautiful and annoying as it was,it did give me the opening line "I'm so over the moon" so it wasn't all bad!  ;D  ;D the song just kind of flowed from that.

I have concerns over whether the chorus lyrics work or not? I would like to think that the images are clear enough,but I'm not sure if I've traded emotional impact for play on words??

Melodically/vocally I challenged myself and took a left everywhere that I would normally go right...3 harmonies not two,I started the song higher than normal and of course I put on my hot pants and tried my hand at singing falsetto! Eek!

It's just me and a piano...(a robot one I'm afraid   :-\ ) it's almost like its..."bare bones" or something?? ::)
Sigh...story of my life,too late to everything!!  :D

All thoughts are welcome and thanks for listening.
Leo   ;D

https://soundcloud.com/leo-b-5/sandcastle-heart

Sandcastle Heart

I'm so over the moon
Her tides came crashing back too soon
Now my baby she's gone
Swept away on some wave of emotion

I didn't stand a chance
Cos he flys a plane
Has a house in the south of Spain
And loves to dance

Damn,life's a beach
Dashing my dreams on the rocks
And I'm falling apart
As they dance on my sandcastle heart.

I'm so over the moon
Cold and bright,a spotlight on the truth
Nothing matters,she's gone
I'm just a desert island
That she stayed on

I never read the signs
Cos he was a friend
I was played like a fool to the end
My love was blind.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:00:56 AM by LostBoy »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:28:43 AM »
"Sandcastle Heart" is such a fascinating concept and title that it needs to occur more than once in this song. 

It's sheer genius, but it's under-used here.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:26:05 AM »
Hey Hardtwist,hmm..I can see how you would think that reading the lyrics (my laziness).In the song I use it 5 times.Its my fault for not writing all the choruses out.Thanks for the feedback on the title.If u give it a listen,hopefully it will come across better used.

Thanks mate. ;D

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 11:02:40 AM »
Hi Leo, great vocals, melody, and harmonies. Yes, sometimes inspiration leaps at you unexpectedly, and no I don't understand it either!
Good song!
Cheers
Jamie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:34:11 PM »
Oh, wow! Not much for nits. Sometimes the ends of the words didn't come through. That's about it.

My kind of song is typically up tempo, upbeat, positive message, happy, etc...but this song--although the antithesis of all that--is my kind of song. The chord progression with the accompanying melody...and those vocals...together they do it for me. :)

Vicki

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 11:50:10 PM »
this was fabulously sung leo ...unusual harmonies & lots of them... for me they made it a little bit vocally OTT ... but they do make it sound very modern & Im sure simon cowell would definitely have you as far as his judges house :D
the lyrics are corny but clever & that makes them pefect modern pop lyrics...amanda holden would struggle with them...but not evryone is as intelligent as me :D
I normally love your stuff & though I think this is very good its not totally my thing
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 04:18:24 AM »
Hey Hardtwist,hmm..I can see how you would think that reading the lyrics (my laziness).In the song I use it 5 times.Its my fault for not writing all the choruses out.Thanks for the feedback on the title.If u give it a listen,hopefully it will come across better used.

Thanks mate. ;D

Ah.... I had been reviewing lyrics, and thought I was still in the lyrics section.  Didn't notice the link, and thus didn't catch on that the "Sandcastle Heart" line actually was used so often. 

Now that I'm up to speed, very nice song. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 08:12:32 AM »
Lovely melodic song Leo. Great inspiration. I love the title and the images that are portrayed in the Lyrics. Voice sounding great as usual. How DO you get those high notes ????

Great stuff

John

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »
A masterful vocal performance,Leo. You are some chanter,kiddo.  8)

I loved the whole song,the only thing for me was the level of the piano distracted me a little from your great vox.

Marvelous.

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:21:09 PM »
Nice!  Excellent vocal, imaginative melody, an easily understood lyric.  This I like!  Good work, sir!

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »
Leo,

Another great ballad.

Yet again your vocals are amazing, this time matched by some beautiful piano playing.

Emotive lyrics....seem very personal.

Sandeep

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 11:05:59 PM »
Fantastic stuff Leo and very dfferent from the normal rubbish you subject us to  ;D

The chords and melody are very inventive, not your standard stuff and beautifully sung as usual. The harmonies are also spot on as usual, but it would be good to try something counter-rhymic sometimes - it may add more variety towards the end. But overall I love it, I think it sounds very original for a ballad - the best inspiration always comes quickly. Fab song.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 08:59:47 AM »
Haha!! Tina! I wrote this song so that you could have a chance to nip to the loo at the gig!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks so much to everyone for your really encouraging feedback on this song,i really appreciate it.I know I could have done much better with the music on this one and someone has kindly offered to produce it for me as I'm kind of juggling projects at the moment,so that's cool and will be fun to hear how someone else hears the song musically.

Thanks again guys!  ;D

AlzieBear

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 07:19:53 PM »
Excellent song title here mate - that alone made me want to listen to it. Voice is very powerful and clear too. Song could do with a nice hook really.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 02:15:34 AM »
Very good. Melody surprised me in a good way.
Good falsetto and well placed. Seems effortless and intricate.
Really lovely. Thanks.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly