Billy

• 30 Replies

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »
Hi, nicely written and performed. I didn’t feel that the instrumental intro fitted the rest of the song, apart from that very nice pop tune!
Cheers
Jamie

Thank you Jamie! I will revisit the intro and think about cutting it, or at least cutting it down. Thanks for the advice!

I don't think I would have recognised this as one of your songs if I hadn't known it was you. It seems quite different to me...anyway your stuff is always extremely well done and always sounds super to my ears. I think somebody mentioned the "milk shake" line...that line made me a little uncomfortable to be honest...it seemed to conjure up the image of a younger person with someone a bit older...but that's just a minor detail that maybe only mattered to me. And it didn't really matter to me very much. Just an observation. The way you kind of deliberately stumble (?) here and there with vocal gave a hint of apprehension which I thought was very clever (forgive me if I picked that up wrongly...I'm writing this from memory after listening a few days back)

Fits the 80's pop brief perfectly, I think. Nice work, as always.
You're correct about the milkshake line, I did think that when I wrote it but left it in because it's a real memory. I might change the 'let's drive around' to 'drive me around', to highlight that Billy is at least of driving age.

You're totally right about the apprehension, by the way. That was a conscious decision so really really chuffed that you picked up on it. Good ears!
Cheers Paul, really appreciate it.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »
Great track, its got a very authentic 80's sound and your usual great performance and production, I also thought the intro could have been shorter, but once it got going it was great.

Cheers, Mikey

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • AlphaLine Website:
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 12:43:07 AM »
It’s another classic, Jack. Stella chorus. You have a magical way with words and melody. And you portray so much more with your performance. Yes, slight bit more percussion variation maybe, as someone said earlier, but hardly worth mentioning as this is perfect indie pop and fits with the 80s direction you wanted. Brilliant work. Cx
Caz

Vocalist
AlphaLine

4 piece band from Surrey/Berkshire, UK, with sounds drawing in trip-hop, jazz, funk, ambient electronica and alternative psychedelic rock.

Check out our Instagram: www.instagram.com/alphalineband

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 11:03:09 PM »
This is really well produced. The vocals are pretty great and the lyrics too. The only negative I guess is that it's not very contemporary.

Daniel_Young

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »
I enjoyed it!
the intro adds a nice 80's feel.

this reminds me of those magical cartoon themes from the past.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 12:09:53 PM »
Hi Jack,

Love the intro and the 80's instrumentation. This is original - loved your lyrical style and vocal delivery. You have a real ear for how to arrange vocals and instrumentation and when not to play/add instruments. Plenty of space in the mix and a lovely chorus. Strong grasp of melody as well. This is really an excellent piece of music with no negatives from me. You have real talent and a lovely voice.

M

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 09:20:52 PM »
Good song.

Like the 80s effects...my kind of era.

I did the like the intro....was just right for me

Sandeep

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
Really great stuff Jack!

It's really catchy and very well produced and lyrically brilliant. I've really enjoyed listening to this. I love the pause after 'laugh along' and 'my jokes' ....I think your delivery of the song is really nice.

Great listen

Darren

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 09:51:50 PM »
This is really good. I love the storyline. You've sung it very sweetly. I don't think I'd change a thing. It sounds great.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
Really ace track Jack, one of the best I've heard for a while.
I loved the line about not caring about the guitar chords - you manage to paint some images that really convey a lot without saying a lot, if you know what I mean.
I also really enjoyed the minimalist synth treatment - that monotonous analogue sounding bassline and relentless kick drum.  Obviously it conjures up bands like Erasure and Sparks but there's something more subtle about it too - not too overblown, and the more moving and wistful because of that.
It's all too beautiful.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 02:39:10 AM »
Hate to bump this again but I have only just seen all the latest replies and can’t go on without thanking all of you for taking the time to listen. Your feedback is invaluable for me going forwards. You guys are amazing 😉
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 03:54:40 AM »
What a pleasure to listen to this 'kind of eighties' pop track 8) It has a bouncy fun dance vibe, but at the same time, there is this underlying feeling of melancholy, which is a really cool contrast  8) Good for you for writing about something so personal and challenging. It was very moving  :'(
I think the whole package is perfectly executed. Lovely vocals and lyrics :) The production sounds very professional to me and I think it would do well on the radio  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:35:13 PM by crystalsuzy »

sarahlawrence17

• Busker
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 08:56:07 AM »
Mate this is awesome! The juxtaposition between the happy pop melody and the reflective lyrics is so clever and I found the last lines in particular really beautiful. Also, the ambiguity of the song is interesting - I turned on the song and was enjoying it, and then I read the story behind it and it took it to a whole new level, very moving to listen to :)

I love this, excited to hear more!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »
Hi Jack.
This is really smooth, The vocal as ever is flawless, productions is slick.
I am from this 80 - 90s era and am a fan of this style.
Love the Jona Loise style intro too. (Stop the Cavalry) A great tune.

Lyrics tell the story perfectly,
Great you have gone back to what you know,

Well done Jack.
Andy

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 12:19:05 PM »
80s style captured really well here. Lovely production.

Agree with others about the intro being tool long, needs trimming a bit I reckon.

Harmonically I found it a bit samey, going from chord I to IV and back, my ears started switching off a bit and needed a surprise chord to jolt them.

Singing was great, a great slice of nostalgia well put together.

Great work.