Jacob's Ladder (Caliamoko/PaulAds Drum Challenge)

• 23 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: May 28, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »
Hello

I got together with the lovely Vicki @CaliaMoko to knock this one up for the drum challenge comp.

I struggled a bit, to be honest, as I had already written another song using the same drums...and I've played the original song about a million times too  :)

But Vicki kept me on the straight and narrow and we made it  :-*

Jacob's Ladder

We always take him with us
It makes our eyeballs swim
We try to make him proud of us
Like we were proud of him

And every time we wonder
How we'll make it through the day
He picks us up and guides us on our way

He’s taught us how to live
Showed us how to love
We think of him in all we do
But it's never quite enough

It’s a world we still believe in
and a world worth fighting for
Although he can’t be with us anymore

We live from day to day
Survive as best we can
It’s beyond our comprehension
Though we try to understand

We know they walk amongst us
We know they lie in wait
We don’t recognise them til it's much too late

Once the evil’s unleashed
The holy man echos the priest
When the hounds are released
Beauty’s no match for the beast...

Written for young Jacob Wetterling, bless him.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
Hi Paul

Great vocals all round, lovely production and outstanding lead guitar playing and tone.

TBH, I was struggling to follow the structure a little. Until the breakdown, I felt the melody needed just a little more variety. The second half of the song is extremely inventive, but for me, it was like a song with two halves needing a little more of a connecting thread running through it.

You know I am a big fan of your music, and it must be really tough writing a second song to this beat, AND knowing the original so well probably doesn't help!

Best,
Bill

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:51:07 PM »
Yo Paul & Vicki.

I think there oughta be a limit on the amount of Pauls in this contest,maybe that should be in the rules too.  >:(

I can only imagine how hard it was to come up with another version,when the first is stuck in yer muscle memory!

A fine,thrashing soundtrack with very intriguing lyrics. I can't guess the topic,maybe a biblical thang?

Love the guitaring in the latter half of the song,some anthemic soaring right there.  8)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 09:46:20 PM »
@Skub to clarify, Jacob is actually Jacob Wetterling. His dad has been a friend of mine for, oh, I don't know, maybe 30 years or so? Anyway, I've always wanted to do something in honor/memory of Jacob for his family.

EDIT: Has to be longer than 30 years...it must be at least 35 years, maybe 40. It's hard to remember that far back....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:49:17 PM by CaliaMoko »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »
I do like a bit of punky harmony and this has loads. I think you probably had the hardest job having just done a track over this beat. The spooky breakdown is really original and great for the subject matter.

"Beauty’s no match for the beast..." - sums it all up really.

I really liked the first guitar instrumental as well (around 0'58") - liked the second one too but I felt I'd have liked that first one to come back again as a repeated motif (which maybe you could afford to do, not having a lyrical chorus).

Great song idea and wow, what they must have lived through.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:05:30 PM by adamfarr »

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »
I read the lyrics and looked up the story behind Jacob before I listen. Really brave to take something on like this and I like the way the song is in two halves, turning dark very deftly and effectively at the end.
Think you did what justice can be done in song to such subjects, that are really tough but very powerful.

Nice guitar work and a super vocal Paul.

Really makes me reflect, great work both go you!

Strong contender, but more importantly great song.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 06:13:10 PM »
What a good song!

I think you use the theme of mortality in an open way. Letting the listener turn the words into pictures. That gives your song, in place of better words, weight. I have this mental image of death associated with old age. The dissonance between youth and death makes an intriguing setting for a story.

Martin

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
Great punk / new wave song.

Has lots of energy and drive.

Very clever how you have incorporated the drum beat...

Some excellent guitars.....and a great listen.

Sandeep

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 09:47:59 PM »
Hi guys,

Love your voices together. I wish Vicki was a bit louder. I listened first without knowing the story, and then after reading about it. It's scary either way, but maybe I wish I didn't know what it was about. It changed perspectives toward the end with the evil vocal effect. Before then, I thought it was from his parent's point of view, so that took me by surprise, and was quite chilling.

Powerful song and delivery.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »
What a sad story. I Googled it as I didn't know the story. Very well done with Pauls edgy vocals and backing track. Vicki's bvs just add another dimension although they are fairly low in the mix they are so effective. I'm amazed that you're able to play along to the right song Paul. Absolutely fab stuff from you both

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 10:47:47 PM »
Ta, everyone...I’ve just tweaked the mix to bring Vicki’s fab vocals up a little...good call  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 12:15:48 AM »
Ta, everyone...I’ve just tweaked the mix to bring Vicki’s fab vocals up a little...good call  :)

Two thumbs up!

katiewilson1

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 12:56:36 AM »
I think this is Terriffic it's got a great beat that picks you up and carries you straight away , the singing is excellent for me I think this is one where the feeling and melody are more important than the words - there's nothing wrong with the words , I just feel the beat and dynasm ( spelt wrong ) make the song what it is , it gets in your blood and gets it pumping .

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »
Hi Guys,

The sound of somebody who knows what they are doing. The backing vocals lend a menacing quality which I've not heard from Vicki before. Nice punk pastiche and a strong song. Particularly effective vocals match the mood of the song perfectly.

M

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
Hi guys, excellent collaboration. Paul's usual punk driven guitars give it flavour and the backing vocals and edgy arrangement give it the salt and pepper. nice lyric beautifully phrased.
Good stuff!

Cheers
Jamie