What's driving you?

• 13 Replies

Paul V

• Busker
« on: June 21, 2024, 04:34:46 PM »
That's what I'm asking myself and so I ask the same to forum members.

As an autobiographical writer, I've written about so many of my life experiences.  On the flip side I've also written about a Donkey who thinks he's a horse who lthinks he's a bank robber.  So here I am, wondering why I keep going.  Surely, I won't write anything that surpasses my previous work.  Whenever I take a break, I think I have to write just to prove that I can still do so. Writing has been been a blessing and a curse.  At times it is cathartic and beneficial to my well-being, and others, it is a distraction from things that require my immediate attention.
I haven't got any unfinished songs though I have many acoustic guitar/vocal songs that should or perhaps shouldn't be in the production queue.  I've talked with @PaulAds and @pompeyjazz recently.  They've been playing live quite frequently at open mic nights and so I have rehearsed a set of 20 songs to do the same.  At this stage in life, it seems more appropriate to go down this avenue and stop recording.  There will come a time  when I'm unable to do this so why not seize the day?  I think that I may have lost my way a little.  Perhaps live performance will light the way if I steal myself to get involved.  I'm certain that if I lived in the northeast of England where I hail from, I'd ask @PaulAds to play often: two guitars, and two vocals.  I think we'd make fairly accomplished performers.  However, I live in the Southeast of England and have done so for several years.  I'm definitely going to play alongside Paul and also @pompeyjazz though just as a guest performer on their suite of songs one night.  I'd be more than happy to play as second guitarist on their songs.  Well, that's where I am and at the moment though I'm unsure what my real driving force to continue writing is.

Answers on a postcard please (this thread)  What's driving you?

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 04:54:16 PM »
Enjoyment, and the blinkered desire to keep trying to improve.

I've always had tunes in my head, but until I built my studio in 2021, I had no outlet so I just let them slide. Now I have the studio I have the means to make something of them, and I simply adore seeing a song evolve from the initial sketch to the finished product.

When I stop enjoying it, I will stop. But for now I can't see that happening just yet.

I also think that in some ways, if you want success it is a numbers game. You have to keep on producing new material and the more you do, the better you get, and the better you get the more chance you have of being a success.

I'm not overly hungry for success, but it would be nice to make a few £

I've written a handful of songs for another artist (which I've done before), but this time I am not producing. Someone else is doing that. I probably won't even play on the songs. So that will be interesting to hear once it's done as I know that particular producer works to a high standard, and also the artist is exceptional.

So there's a few things driving me, Paul.

Another great thread topic and as before, I can't wait to hear what drives others. No doubt there will be fish, Jesus and Nashville at some stage :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 06:52:24 PM »
Wonderful all of you. I think @Nick Ryder summed it up pretty well that it’s all about enjoyment. @Paul V and @PaulAds @Nick Ryder would be lovely to do some stuff in Southsea ❤️

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 07:19:23 PM »
Well…such a great question deserves a really honest answer…

Even if it sounds a little vain, I’d be lying if I tried to deny that it is a very lovely thing indeed to receive a little respect from people i really admire.

My mate runs a live music venue and he said that “Government Surplus” is one of the handful of songs that have been played there during which you really could have heard a pin drop.

That was quite something to hear 😀

I guess writing about stories I really want to tell is a massive part of why I bother to write too.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 07:20:06 PM »
Wonderful all of you. I think @Nick Ryder summed it up pretty well that it’s all about enjoyment. @Paul V and @PaulAds @Nick Ryder would be lovely to do some stuff in Southsea ❤️

I’d SO love to do this!

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2024, 12:18:52 PM »
I was recently out n about with a visiting friend
We got drunk
A drummer and band leader, no less.
To my surprise he complimented me on my songwriting
My playful ambition and willingness to try new things.

At some point he told me he thought I couldn't sing
 and i should get someone else to do that.
I think he likes those incredibly dull "x factor" singers
I get a lot of criticism,
it's going to happen because I do my own thing.

He started apologising
And I had to spend about half an hour trying to convince him I didn't mind the feedback.
... (but was wondering if it was of any value. Lol)

He asked if the music brought me the right kind of attention from the ladies.
I thought the question funny,
I told him it causes more problems than anything else.
So, he asked what kept me going.
I didn't have a prepared answer
But found myself saying
I've always done it.

It's sort of true
As a young teen I'd invest that much attention in listening
that it's not anything that I'd describe as a passive activity.
For the last 40 years I haven't been far from finishing a song
or starting s new one.

Apart from the odd, pocket money gig, I've not earned money with it.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 01:15:38 PM »
Motorcycles.

Music has disappeared from my life. I no longer play or listen. Listening has become an irritation,something I ache to turn off,to bring back the peaceful silence.

When my Da's health was failing and the long uphill drag in the direction of his last breath finally became the destination we all rush towards,I hit a purple patch of creativity. The catharsis was very welcome. Since that time,I have nothing more to say about anything,because I now realise fully,nothing matters and no one cares. So guess what,I don't care either.

I have looked back on some of the recorded stuff I punted out and I feel nothing but slight embarrassment. I think I finally hear what my family hears when I tried to get them to listen to my 'work'. They think it's all a bit naff and I now understand what they meant. For years I stuck my head in the sand and believed in what I did,but that belief has now perished on the rocks of absolute indifference.

Sorry if all that shite is a bit negative in the context of the thread,but I'm ok with how I feel and I'm pretty sure it over for me.

Keep doing what you love,good people,life is scarily short before the eternal oblivion. I'm just going to ride my bike and do other things.

Take care,folks.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 02:08:03 PM »
Motorcycles.

Music has disappeared from my life. I no longer play or listen. Listening has become an irritation,something I ache to turn off,to bring back the peaceful silence.

When my Da's health was failing and the long uphill drag in the direction of his last breath finally became the destination we all rush towards,I hit a purple patch of creativity. The catharsis was very welcome. Since that time,I have nothing more to say about anything,because I now realise fully,nothing matters and no one cares. So guess what,I don't care either.

I have looked back on some of the recorded stuff I punted out and I feel nothing but slight embarrassment. I think I finally hear what my family hears when I tried to get them to listen to my 'work'. They think it's all a bit naff and I now understand what they meant. For years I stuck my head in the sand and believed in what I did,but that belief has now perished on the rocks of absolute indifference.

Sorry if all that shite is a bit negative in the context of the thread,but I'm ok with how I feel and I'm pretty sure it over for me.

Keep doing what you love,good people,life is scarily short before the eternal oblivion. I'm just going to ride my bike and do other things.

Take care,folks.

Fuck me, Davy.

This is as good, honest and valid a post as I’ve ever read here and I take my hat off to you for telling it like it is. I’m in a similar boat…though I usually try to avert my eyes.

Friends, family and band members don’t really give a rats ass about my songwriting. They don’t listen to it, or care about it…and why would they?

I haven’t written anything for over a year now…and I still don’t feel enthused to bother. I’m pretty sure that I’ll come back to it some time, but for now, I’m doing other stuff that brings me more enjoyment.

Funnily enough though, the best thing about this place was always finding the real people behind the songs…and enjoying their company a great deal.

The best of luck in whatever your doing, @Skub

I think you’re a diamond.

Elvis Nash

• Platinum Album
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2024, 04:11:23 PM »
Motorcycles.

Take care,folks.

Probably a better place riding a bike , Music is irritating and costly . Once I finish a song , I don't even listen to it , maybe 3 or 4 times . Cuz I know I'm losing money . Well it is sunday , so back to fishing .  Open highway wind in your face , forget the world of music . Its a addiction like ( crack) 

Paul V

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2024, 04:26:31 PM »
Motorcycles.

Take care,folks.

@Skub.  Davy,  I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling this way.  Like yourself and @PaulAds, I've got to say that everything is not as I would like it to be in the world.  I understand your comments about grief and its impact on creativity.  As you know grief comes into our lives  at different times and for many different reasons, whether it is associated with a death or a different life changing event.  I've been struggling for the last 2 years with the most horrendous grief and like yourself I began the cathartic process of writing about my feelings, unfortunately/fortunately, I didn't stop. I have observed that every time I write, I once again explore these feelings.  The world doesn't want to hear about my woes and I know that I have the creative ability to stop and embrace other topics.  This is my task. It is  possibly also your task to remember your musical flair and ability to write about many different topics,  if you decide to return to music.

You have touched the lives of many people Davy.  Your interactions with forum members have informed me that you are a thoroughly decent human being, insightful and kind at all times.  People here, care about you.  I certainly do and like @PaulAds has said  "the best thing about this place was always finding the real people behind the songs…and enjoying their company a great deal."  You're a fantastic musician Davy.  Persevere, a truly creative soul doesn't disappear, it lives within the individual and rises again regardless of the curve balls that life throws at us.  I'm proud that our paths have crossed.  I know that my family has little love for my compositions but hey, it doesn't matter, I believe in me and I will shine again. You have made a difference to the lives of more people than you could imagine!

@PaulAds, your star will undoubtedly be on the rise again!

Chin up fellas!

Paul
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 06:17:31 PM by Paul V »

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2024, 10:24:37 PM »
Motorcycles.

Take care,folks.

Well
I'm also sorry you feel this way.

Your material has always been really good.
I can't help but wonder if you've lost interest in music generally,
or only in your own productions.
There is often an investment in producing one's own music.
Then again, sometimes it seems to deliver itself.

I do hope
I've not heard the last of you

Take care Skub
I hope you find your happiness

It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

popitup

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2024, 03:54:25 AM »
Re: What's driving you?

As far back as I remember, I just need to be creating something . . . so music was a natural fit. Songwriting became part of the lifestyle. And I also really enjoy audio recording. Nothing else in the world challenges me more, since chasing the ladies is no longer a relevant option. Just love to get lost in the detail, and really like the feeling when the song is done . . . you created something from nothing. Another driving factor is listening to my peers, other songwriters out there, how they approach it, mutual admiration for their creative spirit.

I'm aware of the future day, when the youthful energy gives in, when the passion fades, when the harmony turns to distortion . . . but dang me, that just makes me think of another song idea, for now . . .

Elvis Nash

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2024, 12:09:01 PM »
What's driving me ? Knowing i'll be in a coffin soon , So how many songs can i get done before that happens. Well I'm not paying for a 4k box like the Pharaohs, Just burn me up and throw me in a river . We like that for some reason .   I don't need a tomb like King Tut . Being buried with slaves and gold .The trout are saying "well the humans are doing it again on a snack"  . If you lose your sense of humor you might as well join a convent . Religion and the tooth fairy.

https://bit.ly/45Etfic

want a few laughs , click that

Elvis Nash

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2024, 12:15:08 PM »
What's driving me ? Knowing i'll be in a coffin soon , So how many songs can i get done before that happens. Well I'm not paying for a 4k box like the Pharaohs, Just burn me up and throw me in a river . We like that for some reason .  I don't think anybody is interested in a tomb of Elvis Nash.