Set Him Free

• 13 Replies

kevysc

• Stadium Tour
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: July 08, 2024, 09:11:42 AM »
This one started as an experiment in using something other than 4/4 timing :) It's it deliberately a little spacey :) Would love to hear comments/ feedback

https://soundcloud.com/kevinism1961/set-him-free

Set Him Free

V1
There's a man in the corner
And he doesn't know what to believe
All his dreams have been stolen
And he wears his heart on his sleeve
So he stares out the window
At a world that's moving too fast
As he flicks through the pages
Of all the times in his past

V2
He can hear all those voices
Fill the air as stories unfold
As he sits there in silence
Feeling weary and growing old
Every face that he sees there
Seems to know who they want to be
But he's stuck in a moment
Caught between now and memory

Chorus

Set him free Babe,
Set him free
Set him free Babe
Set him free

V3
There's a man in the corner
And he's lost in his deepest thoughts
All the plans that he made now
Are just battles that he never fought
As the world keeps on turning
And the crowds they get up to leave
He's just the man in corner
Who doesn't know what to believe

Chorus

Chorus

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 08:56:31 PM »
Me gusta @kevysc
yes, it's a different style here, I like it but maybe the drum could have more presence to reate the engine  between it and guitar chords? lyric are wonderful, so many important lines, among others this one is great
"As he flicks through the pages
Of all the times in his past!
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Paul V

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2024, 08:55:02 AM »
A great set of lyrics @kevysc. An uneasy musical backdrop that perfectly echoes the mayhem and disappointment communicated by the lyrics. Fine work

Paul

subvibe

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2024, 01:38:58 PM »

Hi @kevysc

Really like this its a bit Trippy
the bass gives it a nice rhythm But i think the drums could be a little more up front
to compliment the Bass
Great use of sounds & a really nice vibe to this song

subvibe

Jazz101

• Busker
    • Songsbygeorge
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 04:56:58 PM »
Hi Kev,

I liked this, although I would have liked the voice more up front but I know that would take away from what you wanted to achieve, just my opinion, but loved the style of it with that proviso,

George

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2024, 12:44:42 AM »
Well, to my ears it's 12/8 time..in other words a shuffle. I'm liking this one. I'm wanting to hear the drums more clearly..but that's just my preference. Also the vocal could come up a bit in the mix. Great song though. I'm a fan of your material and this one certainly hits the spot. A great track. :)

Elvis Nash

• Platinum Album
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2024, 01:44:54 AM »
Hey man , Trippy production , Vox could be bumped a tad
Good job man

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2024, 01:01:13 PM »
Hi @kevysc

Great to see your stuff on Soundcloud...have you recently switched over? I think all your other stuff was hosted elsewhere? It's easier for me navigating Soundcloud anyway.

Good lyrics here...and very interesting and bold for you to try out something different. I struggle to get my head around odd time signatures, to be honest...but it can give an unsettling feeling to the music which works really well.

Vocals are good...I always think you have a very authoritative sound to your voice...with a lot of character.

I'd tend to agree that the drums could be louder...or perhaps just to have more definition to them...even if it's just to help mugs like me figure out the timing!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2024, 09:10:06 PM »
Great vocals as always @kevysc, lovely trippy sound to the whole track, and very strong lyrics.. I like what you've done here - and I like the time sig.. I'm a big fan of trips - even my 4/4s start off life like that tbh.. I think it's an Irish trad thing :) !

I really enjoyed this... more of this I say!

K

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2024, 11:21:07 AM »
Hi @kevysc

I actually count this as being in 6/8 time. I echo what the others have said and think there's real potential to make this a big production.

The song itself is good. The production and mix can be improved. I think the bass drum, bass and snare are key here and they all need to be brought out more. I'm hearing big reverbs on the bass drum and snare. I also think you could blend another snare sound with the one you have to create added crunch and snap.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2024, 09:41:36 PM »
I'm not gonna lie. Listening to this song really annoyed me. The timing felt wrong and it all feels too loose with the different elements not quite tying up with the drums. If it was a bad song, I wouldn't care - I'd just move on and say it wasn't for me, but the problem is that this is potentially an outstanding song. The singing, backing vocals, and all the various sounds are well chosen; love the synthy bits and I love the arrangement with everything coming in at the right places. It could have been a song I'd listen to regularly, but the uncomfortable timing has made it a bit of a "what could have been" song for me.

kevysc

• Stadium Tour
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2024, 09:43:12 AM »
@moraamarolaloba @Paul V @subvibe @Jazz101 @ChrisPrice @Elvis Nash @MonnoDB @Nick Ryder

Many thanks to everyone for their comments. I have brought  the vocals and drums  forward, as suggested.  I also played around with the timing on the drums ( although it is still in 6/8 time :)

@PaulAds  Yes, I have switched to Soundcloud, I am on their Pro plan, which allows me to make monthly releases to Spotify at no extra charge :) (I also have a second Soundcloud account for releases with Velvet Stardust, my new backing band :) ) You can find them here :https://soundcloud.com/velvetstardust61

@Bankie  Love your comment! I know what you mean, the drums are a little messy. However, I did play around with them and I think they sound a little better thanks to your comment :) 

Kevin

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2024, 04:26:29 PM »
@kevysc  now this is interesting! There’s so much I like about this, i did find myself almost tripping over myself listening to it occasionally though, I don’t know if it just needs more punch on the drums with a little less reverb to really help drive the unusual time sig and drag the listener along , but I love the melody, hook, lyric and sound palette…
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2024, 02:42:47 PM »
Hi Kevin.................Another atmospheric triumph. I like the effect on your vocals.... a bit surreal.
Nice!
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee