A Tidal Wave From Hell

• 10 Replies

Paul V

« on: July 20, 2024, 06:23:18 PM »
I’ve recently enjoyed one or two conversations with writers from the forum.   @Nick Ryder and I discussed motivations for writing. After a little soul-searching, I disclosed that my writing is often cathartic.  It helps me to make sense of the uncertainty of life.  I always try to write in a very poetic manner.  It’s my way of presenting beauty, in what can sometimes be an ugly world. 

I then talked to @PaulAds and @pompeyjazz.  Though some may not know, we’ve all been members of this forum for many years.  I’ve recently resurfaced after a break and a change of name from Wicked Deeds to Paul V.  I’d say that I have been contributing to the forum, longer than anyone. I’ve almost been here since it’s conception. It takes a massive effort and great passion to continue writing and presenting. Paul and I have talked about how we are both beginning to strongly desire a new approach to writing.  we’ve written and produced hundreds of songs.  Most have been posted on this forum and I’m certain that many will not have heard most of what we have done.  It takes an enormous amount of time to continue as we have previously done so.   At the moment, I almost feel that I could stop writing and that the world doesn’t need any more songs from me but something drives me on.  I know that there is a deep well of creative writing that remains to be explored if I can refocus.  I think it’s worth saying that personal experience can make and often break a writer into adopting this somewhat jaded stance. 

This song is for John, Paul and Nick.  It’s a song that came to be during a week-long writing exercise in which I discovered a new album. It wasn’t inspired by our conversations. It is a reflective song that asks, questions about how I arrived at this stage in life.  It contemplates the difficult journey that can deliver us to our current position and also questions whether there is sometimes a malevolent force at work or perhaps bad luck that influences our fortunes.  I guess if we live long enough, our experiences, good and bad are vast.  By the way, it’s only 2 minutes and eight seconds.  I like that as I’ve said everything that I want to in a minimalistic way!

https://soundcloud.com/paulanthonyvasey/a-tidal-wave-from-hell

A Tidal Wave From Hell.

6am, on the road again.  I must have fallen out of bed.
so many thoughts are haunting me; they swirl around my head.
I’m not convinced the life we live, is purely of free will
when I’m riding on a tidal wave from hell.

6am, the air is still; the calm before the storm.
I long to feel the summer breeze.  It keeps my spirit warm.
I’m not convinced the life we lead is purely of free will
When I’m riding on a tidal wave from hell.

In the grip of a dangerous sea,
you’re sure to find malevolence and me.
when I’m riding on a tidal wave from hell.

Written by Paul Vasey

https://soundcloud.com/paulanthonyvasey/a-tidal-wave-from-hell

Elvis Nash

• Platinum Album
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2024, 10:26:57 PM »
Well at least you haven't fallen prey to pushing AI buttons and robots songs , is what I meant , to much coffee
sounds good man caustic and all

Paul V

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2024, 06:02:59 AM »
@Elvis Nash, it's plain to me that many people on this site rely on AI for creation, doing very little themselves. I'd also say there are some like yourself  who clearly employ others to play their music  and then take credit for the work done. Everyone's a writer and musician or are they? I can write produce and perform.songs completely from my own efforts. I wonder how many other forum contributors can say the same?

Paul

« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 06:40:12 AM by Paul V »

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2024, 11:26:02 AM »
Hola @Paul V
Good morning!!!
I have listened to many of your songs and in general I like your style, your way of narrating things.

Writing is like painting, although we paint in the air. Everything is imagination and reality, a puzzle that often portrays us without realizing when the last word is completed.

AI scares me, not because it does the job well or poorly, but because I sense that it is the door to the end of creators.

Until now each song was born from a living being, from a heart that beats and trembles, from a mind full of doubts and beliefs, beautiful or terrible thoughts, experiences...
Obviously for many the Ai is a great tool, it will do what they tell it to do without protesting, coldly.... coldly.... and free!!!

Well, I'm talking hahha
I come back to your song, I really liked it, I think it's one of your best works.
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Elvis Nash

• Platinum Album
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2024, 11:39:28 AM »
@Elvis Nash, it's plain to me that many people on this site rely on AI for creation, doing very little themselves. I'd also say there are some like yourself  who clearly employ others to play their music  and then take credit for the work done. Everyone's a writer and musician or are they? I can write produce and perform.songs completely from my own efforts. I wonder how many other forum contributors can say the same?

Paul

its not what I meant , You havent fallen prey to AI madness and robots on producing your tracks yourself. I have not heard one AI robot song on this site. Yes that's correct mine are using a producer and hired sessions players like a million majors do for a professional sound.  its a solid business model that has been used since recording studios opened their doors.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2024, 12:28:35 PM »
Hello, old friend  :)

This is lovely, really. Even in your darkest moments, there's always such a lot of beauty in what you produce.

In some ways, musically, I sometimes think I'd like to hear you kicking over the chairs, smashing the tables, throwing the glasses and crockery into the air and shouting "FUCK OFF, MAN" at the top of your lungs.

Like we were saying the other night, I often wonder whether all the carefully constructed sentences and flowery turns of phrase that we used to try and intimate what we're feeling just gets washed away in the aforementioned tidal wave.

I think there's a Roddy Frame lyric in "I can't start now" where he says

"I never use three words when two would be enough"

I always thought - in my own funny little mind - that he means he'd never say "I love you" when "fuck off" would probably suffice...whether through fear of getting in too deep, putting your heart into something and seeing it crushed or whatever...and it made me think about how much in songs is open to interpretation.

As I said regarding Mark Hollis of Talk Talk...some writers hit the jackpot and are appreciated for what they do...even if it's just in a small, fairly understated way...and others just do their thing and hardly anyone even noticed they were there.

We noticed you were there, though.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paul V

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2024, 09:06:40 PM »
Ah thanks for your lovely words @PaulAds.  One of the angriest tracks that I've written in recent times features my trusty telecaster.  I also wrote a full Rock album for my old band mates and man that kicked ass. 

Anyway, here is "One For The Doubters".

https://soundcloud.com/paulanthonyvasey

Paul
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 09:22:29 PM by Paul V »

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2024, 08:55:43 PM »
Angry yet smooth and gentle at the same time.. I like the contradiction. As always with your stuff @Paul V , it's beautifully arranged, played and produced.. I too use music to work through things, (although I'm a little unproductive at the moment). It's a lot cheaper than therapy and I suspect for me far more effective. Anyhoo, I digress... Great to hear another from you - I prefer your new moniker, not that there was anything wrong with Wicked Deeds, but it evokes thoughts of a less gentle soul.

K

Paul V

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2024, 09:28:06 PM »
Angry yet smooth and gentle at the same time.. I like the contradiction. As always with your stuff @Paul V , it's beautifully arranged, played and produced.. I too use music to work through things, (although I'm a little unproductive at the moment). It's a lot cheaper than therapy and I suspect for me far more effective. Anyhoo, I digress... Great to hear another from you - I prefer your new moniker, not that there was anything wrong with Wicked Deeds, but it evokes thoughts of a less gentle soul.

K

Hey Karen,

Writing is so cathartic isn't it?  Like you, I've come to think of writing as therapy.  I'd say that this is the true value of what we do. If someone discovers enjoyment or beauty in our work then this is a bonus. 

Life is filled with tests and disappointments.  I've been writing about these challenges all of my life but a little over two years ago, I experienced the most heartbreaking situation that required every bit of strength and determination that I could muster to continue.  It would have been impossible without the love of my partner Marie, my brother Chris and Sister Sharon. I've got to thank my friend Rob, including my forum buddies, @Andy @Kafla, John @pompeyjazz, Paul @PaulAds and Nick @Nick Ryder.  They all know the details and I am sure that they have observed a man, who has been at his lowest emotional state in life. 

I love this life but am simply overwhelmed with the daily effort that is required to find the little sparks of enjoyment that make it all  worthwhile.  This is my 'tidal wave from hell'. and I have no idea when I will find peace.

Thank you for your lovely thoughts.  "Wicked deeds have always been my game.  Let ignorance and want, define my fame."  I never believed those lyrics, it was simply something that I thought of as clever wordplay.  There's quite an unusual story of how I came to write the song 'Wicked Deeds" and adopt it as my forum name.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 09:29:41 PM by Paul V »

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2024, 11:13:13 AM »
Hi @Paul V

This is another competent and efficient production which is up to your usual high standards. I keep meaning to say that I feel you have created a very unique and new genre of song writing and production.

There's no mistaking that 'Vasey' sound which is unique to you, and that can only be a good thing :)

kevysc

• Stadium Tour
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2024, 09:25:19 AM »
@Paul V  It probably took me longer to read your intro than to listen to the song :) anyway, I love both: it's great to hear the context behind your writing and this song in particular, it adds to the richness of the listener experiencing the song. Also, I love the brevity of the lyrics (and all those words I am reading between the lines :) ). Really good one and keep writing: it is therapy for us all :)

Kevin