konalavadome

Stuck Inside a Cloud

• 8 Replies

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« on: July 25, 2024, 07:36:39 AM »
Good morning my songsmith friends.

Here's a song which is going to on an album I have coming out in a couple weeks. Its based a true story of someone I knew. As with most of this new album, it was written with a live band feel in mind and in some ways, designed to hopefully get people on their feet. I'm certainly not trying to change the world with this simple pop song, just try to make people feel good.

Hold me now
I will never let you down
I’ll never walk away

I’d hold you for eternity
Its like living in a never-ending dream

Hold me tight
Even if it don’t feel right
Its all I ask of you

I’d stand by you
Though you might not want me to
I’ll take just what I can
And try to be a better man

Stuck inside a cloud with no way out
Hoping that one day you’ll hear me shout
Raining down my thoughts and fears
They filter through the sky
Watching all the moments pass me by

Tell me now,
Do you need a little time?
Do you need to be alone

I’ll wait for you
Though you might not want me to
I’ll hang on patiently
And hope you see a better me

Estelle tried to call
But I wasn’t in the mood to talk
Estelle tried to call.
But I wasn’t in the mood at all

Stuck inside a cloud I don’t know why
Hoping that one day you’ll hear me cry
Lighting strikes the heart of me
Lighting up the sky
Waiting for a chance to say goodbye

Estelle tried to call
But I wasn’t in the mood at all.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 04:28:24 PM »
Hola @Nick Ryder
It's a good song, it has a nice message. I like a lot the lyrics, the title is wonderful as well as the overall production.
Maybe on my headphones the sound has too much trebles, I think it's the only observation I can give you on my behalf. Good job, good to see you again
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 10:59:56 PM »
Brilliant stuff as usual. I particularly liked the high notes - made for some interesting melody, which hit the spot to make the track stand out; something very useful when you're treading a path oft followed.

Elvis Nash

• Platinum Album
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 01:02:40 AM »
Hey Nick , Great hook , and wonderful production , Real cool blend of everything going on

popitup

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 04:00:41 AM »
Well written song ! . . . lyrics are on point, and the chorus is very strong. I also really like your vocals. I'll echo Mora's comment about the "trebles" . . . it's like everything is bunched up into the high mid range. I would so much love to hear this with a more balanced "low to high" mix, because I can hear there are a lot of parts that get lost in the mist, taking away from the power and delivery of the song idea.

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 09:11:05 AM »
@moraamarolaloba
@Bankie
@Elvis Nash
@popitup

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your comment and also you taking the time to listen.

This is actually a pre-release mix which I mastered myself. The final version (out soon) was mastered by someone else and I'm sure the 'treble' harshness is addressed :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2024, 10:11:36 AM »
First off…a very good song from a very good songwriter.

Vocals are really good…and so is the playing.

I wondered if the arrangement was too full-on?

There is so much going on so early that there isn’t much room for that really strong chorus or the instrumental break to punch through as much as it perhaps could.

I’d maybe start with just the piano…or the guitar…and hold back on more of the instruments until much later. I’m not even sure that I’d have as many instruments in there as there are…but I’m quite minimalist/lazy in my approach.

Also, just a thought…that little chord change in the intro is almost like a signature of yours…and I wondered if I’d have held it back here?

Lyrically, I wondered if the pedant in me thought that there was a bit of mixed messaging…whereby I wasn’t sure whether you were upbeat and optimistic at the start and then gradually became more circumspect as the song progressed…but one minute you were in a dream and next minute you were stuck in a cloud. It doesn’t matter at all, and most people wouldn’t be bothered anyway…just thought I’d mention it.

The breakdown is pretty good…I just thought that I might have wanted to keep more momentum going…it almost grinds to a halt…which does give more ebb and flow…so you pay your money and take your chance…

It’s a really good song…seems to me that you only write good songs.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2024, 10:39:35 AM »
First off…a very good song from a very good songwriter.

Vocals are really good…and so is the playing.

I wondered if the arrangement was too full-on?

There is so much going on so early that there isn’t much room for that really strong chorus or the instrumental break to punch through as much as it perhaps could.

I’d maybe start with just the piano…or the guitar…and hold back on more of the instruments until much later. I’m not even sure that I’d have as many instruments in there as there are…but I’m quite minimalist/lazy in my approach.

Also, just a thought…that little chord change in the intro is almost like a signature of yours…and I wondered if I’d have held it back here?

Lyrically, I wondered if the pedant in me thought that there was a bit of mixed messaging…whereby I wasn’t sure whether you were upbeat and optimistic at the start and then gradually became more circumspect as the song progressed…but one minute you were in a dream and next minute you were stuck in a cloud. It doesn’t matter at all, and most people wouldn’t be bothered anyway…just thought I’d mention it.

The breakdown is pretty good…I just thought that I might have wanted to keep more momentum going…it almost grinds to a halt…which does give more ebb and flow…so you pay your money and take your chance…

It’s a really good song…seems to me that you only write good songs.

Thank you.

Now I wish I had posted this in the 'works in progress' thread before I actually released it as I think you make some excellent points. I need to learn to stop rushing things out and assuming that my way of doing things is not always the best.

Oh, and I write some really, really bad songs, I just don't let anyone else listen to them :)

kevysc

• Stadium Tour
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2024, 08:58:30 AM »
@Nick Ryder  Great production, lots going on but everything working well together. The melody is very strong and has an Oasis/ Beatles vibe. Some interesting drum work too. Like the change in dynamics in the bridge. Nicely done and good luck with the album.