• 17 Replies

Paul V

« on: July 27, 2024, 01:46:57 PM »
Continued podcasts ?
Songwriter interviews ?
Song of the month?
Songwriting Challenges
Live performance?

Thought I'd suggest one or two possibilities to discover if there is any appetite for these suggestions.

Paul

Paul V

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2024, 02:00:41 PM »
For example, if there is interest in the interviews. I'd be happy to cobble a set of questions together. Questions could be answered and contributors could perhaps record snippets or full performances to demonstrate points.

I could then do a little bit of editing and present it all as an interview.  If there is any interest, then please add your name to this thread

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2024, 02:51:48 PM »
I’d be interested in all of those…they’re all great ideas…and exactly the sort of thing you’d imagine would be very popular on a songwriter forum.

I get the feeling, however, that there’ll only be a handful who show any interest.

I don’t want us to end up like some tragic high-school wallflowers who keep asking people if they’ll go to the prom with us, only to be met with an embarrassing silence  :D

I just think that so many who might well have been up for those kind of things have drifted away never to return.

Then again…you never know  :P
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2024, 05:56:35 PM »
I'm all for everything but as Paul says..not everyone joins in...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Paul V

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2024, 06:04:08 PM »
@PauAds,thank you for your reply. I hope that we can both be proved wrong

@Shadowfax, really, Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

I hope one or two others get on board so that something can be implemented. Please, don't make the forum somewhere that people come along with their latest song, seeking to gain praise then disappear when reviews have been collected.

Paul

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2024, 06:33:27 PM »
Hi @Paul V

Some great idea's here, especially the interviews, I'd be fascinated to learn more about the members on here. I think getting to know people brings people closer together. Finding common ground leads to further conversations which can only be a good thing.

The only one the I personally can't do is the songwriting challenges. It's just not in my makeup to write songs to order, but the rest of your idea's. hell yeah.!!

I really hope these take off my friend.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2024, 06:58:11 PM »
I’m up for all these ideas although as @PaulAds says it’s likely to be only a few folks who contribute. Tbh, I can’t understand why people are on the forum who don’t contribute. Last year I was contacted by a guy by the name of Ray Barrie who had put together an excellent podcast series called Audio Waves Cafe where he interviewed musicians, played one of their songs, talked about music news and looked back on an album from yesteryear. It was an excellent format and a fascinating insight into other musicians experiences. Ray sent me 10 questions before so I was briefed before the interview. Anyway, I’m willing to participate in any of your ideas @Paul V

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2024, 07:18:18 PM »
Hi guys..

I'm going to add a slightly different perspective here. I consider myself as a contributing member even if I drift away and come back linked to my musical activity at home. I love to support others and hear new music on here and I really appreciate the feedback I get on the music I post.

I've always like the anonymity of a forum - I am who am I at home, with my friends, even when I perform, but I come to a forum like this to connect with like-minded individuals who understand me, understand what I'm trying to do with my music, can offer me advice on songwriting, on arrangements, on production etc.

That doesn't mean that I want to get on zoom calls, record myself answering questions, do podcasts (@PaulAds I am in awe of your confidence and wit and talent, but I could never ever do that but I will watch and enjoy every single one of yours).

Just because I'm not comfortable with contributing "in person" doesn't make me any less committed to the forum, to you guys as musical mates, it just makes my drivers different. Would I do a written Q&A? Absolutely! Would I do a recorded Q&A, absolutely not.

If that isn't acceptable then so be it - I just think that judgement of enthusiasm and support shouldn't be tied to either in person contribution, or enthusiasm for contests / challenges, which frankly have never worked for me.

I love that you are trying to re-invigorate the forum and I would love nothing more than for it to take off again but PLEASE don't judge everyone by your own drivers.

So for me, I'm interested in seeing more of the items you've tabled @Paul V but would urge you to understand that we're all different and we can contribute in different ways.

K

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2024, 07:23:47 PM »
Fair point Karen @MonnoDB Totally understand where you’re coming from and I agree with you one hundred percent.

Paul V

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2024, 07:37:22 PM »
@pompeyjazz,  I loved your interview.  for me, additions like this enhance a forum.  Yours is a balanced interview and you coe across as the John BRadly that I have got to know reasonably well. 

@MonnoDb, I'm not judging everyone and realise that many of us bring something to this forum in one shape or form.  I find it more than acceptable that you might want to participate in a different way to providing an audio interview.  I think that you're an excellent contributor because you are generous in participation. I'll still reiterate that there are some, who come here and offer little but take as much as they can. I include threads of this nature because I care for the forum and know that others feel as I do.  I try to kick start things from time to time but to be honest, I'm sorely tempted to disappear from this place once and for all. 

Paul

Paul V

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2024, 07:52:34 PM »
I think it's time that I left.  It's not working the way that I would like it to and I know 100 percent that several other members feel this way.  I'm not trying to force people into doing anything they don't want to do.   No hard feelings but I won't be back and that is probably for the best.  I've outgrown this place. Best of luck to everyone it was good fun for a while.

Paul

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2024, 08:11:06 PM »
I think it's time that I left.  It's not working the way that I would like it to and I know 100 percent that several other members feel this way.  I'm not trying to force people into doing anything they don't want to do.   No hard feelings but I won't be back and that is probably for the best.  I've outgrown this place. Best of luck to everyone it was good fun for a while.

Paul

Please don't do that @Paul V - you know I'll think it was because of my comments, and they absolutely weren't meant in that way at all. I think you're a fab member of the forum, I was just urging you to understand that not everyone contributes in the same way.

I 100% applaud and support what you're trying to do here. Please don't let my contribution trigger your departure, that was absolutely not my intention.

K

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2024, 09:21:32 AM »
I'm struggling to understand what happened here. The thread seemed to be going so well and then bang.

@MonnoDB Karen, you've done nothing wrong whatsoever. I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2024, 10:24:45 AM »
So @Paul V is suddenly leaving...WOT!!! didn't he know this before he started the thread?  :o ???
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!