Other Forums

• 20 Replies

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« on: August 28, 2024, 02:54:56 PM »
Hi all, I hope you're well.

One of the reasons I joined this forum over a year ago was to learn, be inspired and interact with others who were on a similar journey to me.

However, in recent months it seems like a lot of people have lost interest on this forum. Activity is very sparse, despite the fact that several members do log on regularly and lurk, they choose not to post.

Not sure why this is but it is a shame as this is a great platform for like minded folk.

Anyway, I have no plans to have a flounce and deactivate my account :) . I was just wondering if any of you used any other songwriting forums and if so, are they any different to this.

TIA,

Nick.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2024, 03:23:20 PM »
Hi @Nick Ryder I know that a few guys on here are also on other forums. As you say, it’s pretty quiet here. I haven’t been on as I’ve been away for a lot of the summer but intend to get back on the forum in September as I’ve knocked out a few songs in the last couple of weeks. Hope all is good with you 😀

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2024, 03:33:23 PM »
Hey, @pompeyjazz John.

Nice one. Yeah, I have heard most of the new stuff you've put on Sound Cloud. Good work!!

It would be good to see you back posting again and I hope you had am amazing break before you start the course.

Looking forward to hearing about that too :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2024, 03:43:10 PM »
Thanks so much @Nick Ryder Yep, I’ll be starting University in a few weeks so just one more trip away before then. I’ll keep you posted on developments!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2024, 04:36:06 PM »
I'm not around because everything is packed ready to move to the Czech Republic...should've moved a few weeks ago but got held up with paperwork being wrong somwhere...hoping to go early September, will be back on the forum proper when I get my new studio sorted...

@pompeyjazz
@Nick Ryder
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2024, 06:36:20 PM »
Good luck with the move Kev @shadowfax and looking forward to hearing some stuff from you once you have the studio sorted out

popitup

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2024, 03:29:04 AM »
Hi all, I hope you're well.

One of the reasons I joined this forum over a year ago was to learn, be inspired and interact with others who were on a similar journey to me.

However, in recent months it seems like a lot of people have lost interest on this forum. Activity is very sparse, despite the fact that several members do log on regularly and lurk, they choose not to post.

Not sure why this is but it is a shame as this is a great platform for like minded folk.

Anyway, I have no plans to have a flounce and deactivate my account :) . I was just wondering if any of you used any other songwriting forums and if so, are they any different to this.

TIA,

Nick.

@Nick Ryder
Well, as far as I've found, there aren't a lot of songwriter forums . . . at least forums where the focus is all about writing songs. This particular forum seems to use a different web software than some other forums I frequent . . . some others use the "Invision Community" software. One thing I like about Invision is the ability to leave a "Like" . . . you know, when you like a song, but don't have a lot of time, or at a loss of words to extrapolate, but want to show support. If that exists here, I don't know where it is . . . and maybe this site has a different philosophy about that . . . if you like a song, type something good you liked about it. Personally, I always have troubles poking holes, critiquing mixes, and trying to offer ideas to make someone's song better . . . it's their art, so I've learned to tread lightly . . . you know, don't always try to find the "you" in someone else's efforts.

I enjoy this forum, and keep coming back, though, I find myself lurking more than posting. So many great songs posted, by a lot of talented and familiar names, many recognizable  from other sites . . . I'm hoping to have more input here. I also wonder if it's just a generational thing, where today's youth just don't hang out on forums . . . because there are so many new and trendy social media apps with flashier graphics . . . and a lot of folks who used to come here often, just don't anymore, or at least as often as they used to. I've noticed a lot of familiarity in the postings . . . everybody knows each other and has a history, old song friends . . . but not a lot of newbies, as far as I've noticed. So, maybe the real question is how to get more newbies ?

I'm just out here looking for others who share my lifelong passion for writing songs . . . a connection that simply does not exist in my local community.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2024, 08:59:56 AM »
Still here but haven't been writing much. I was on Muse for a while but I felt that it was all consuming and you couldn't really dip in and out so easily. There was another - the Kitchen? which was more continental and quite friendly.

So this is my forum (it does everything that the others do). I guess if people aren't here then it's not lively and if it's not lively they don't stay. @Nick Ryder you've been a great blast of fresh air into the activity here.

My resolution for my next phase is to use things like the WIP and lyrics boards more - rather than waiting for things to be "finished" that way I can have more than 4 songs a year out there (LOL).

So, guilty! I think these things do go in phases - but this lull has been a long one for sure.   

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2024, 09:20:20 AM »
@popitup @adamfarr @shadowfax

Thanks for taking the time to reply and all very interesting to hear other people's positions.

I think at the end of the day, people do post in phases and also, it depends on what else is going on in their lives. There was a period earlier this year where I was in the middle of a massive project at work which meant I had little time to contribute in terms of giving others feedback or my own stuff.

I do think that even if I don't have anything new songs of my own to post, I would still like to contribute by reviewing others work, especially if I feel I can offer advice on what might improve a song.

From what you guys have said, there's probably no value in signing up for another forum so I'll just hand around here in the hopes it picks up again (I'm sure it will) :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2024, 10:22:32 AM »
It's quiet for sure at the moment. But I'm hoping the lull won't be terminal as I do like it here. Definitely a small group of active members and few newbies. @adamfarr mentioned the Kitchen, which was kind of a smaller, more intimate version of this place (I was there before I was here because I found this site a little more intimidating at the time - but it was bigger and busier and I was only starting to record so I couldn't get over he quality of what was being produced). In the Kitchen I know that the late, great Dutchbeat (the founder) used to scout Soundcloud for members so was continually drawing people in. The Kitchen has moved to Discord btw, but honestly I can't get my head around that format - it doesn't really suit the need imho.

Anyhoo, I've a couple songs on the go in the background so I'm hoping you guys will still be here when I get around to posting.. and get more active then, and maybe before because when I was around before I tried to review on an ongoing basis regardless of my activity. I was getting back into it again a few weeks ago but, well, kinda took another little break.

K

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2024, 12:31:53 AM »
I’m not a member of any other songwriter forums. I doubt I will ever have anything like the love and enthusiasm I once had for songwriting…so even if there was another forum I could join, I’m not sure how much of a contribution I could make to it.

This thread got me thinking…when I first joined, I thought that there were a couple of fairly big hitters…namely James Nighthawk and Anthony Lane, who seemed to be potentially going places and any comments from them or the moderators were pretty highly prized. I think perhaps the forum has lacked that in the last few years. I feel like it’s been largely rudder-less, with virtually no input, guidance or inspiration from the top.

I understand that’s been a conscious decision from the owner…to run it with a very light touch and mostly let it moderate itself, but it just doesn’t appear to have been working for some time now. I’m afraid it seems to me that quite a few of the members here have shown more love for the place and made more of an effort to get things back on track than Boydie has.

I appreciate that Boydie continues to provide us with a platform…but there are very few trains running these days.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2024, 08:16:56 AM »
That is fair comment @PaulAds

I got a new job 2 years ago, my live band has been manic busy since the end of lockdowns, and I have been producing, mixing and mastering other peoples songs - so have literally had zero time to "enjoy" the forum - I log in everyday for "housekeeping" and moderation, fixes etc. just to keep the forum alive

HOWEVER....

Like others, I have also targeted September to get back in the songwriting saddle!

I am just setting up a new studio rig at home, so will personally be more active soon

I will also "reach out" to some of the old guard to tempt them back

@PaulAds - if you are up for it, I would also like to explore whether we could link up to make your excellent podcast series more a part of the forum in a link up??

@popitup - I had considered adding the "like" button - but I think we should encourage members to actually post a few words, in the spirit of the forum

To get up to speed on my new rig, and to reward the loyalty of those still here, I will be offering some free production, mixing and mastering of member's tracks - especially for those that don't have access to the pro tools (not, "ProTools")

Hang in there guys, we can turn it around....
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2024, 09:16:36 AM »
That’s great to hear, Paul @Boydie

It’s also lovely that you took my comments in the spirit they were intended.

I’d be more than happy to try something with the podcast and the forum. Sounds really interesting…I’ll have a think about it…guest slots, interviews, performances…gear chat, who knows?

There is, I’m sure just from reading this thread, a real appetite to revive the forum.

I’ll do all I can to help…there’s such a lot of talent…but also so many great characters, kind, thoughtful and knowledgeable members too.

Collectively, I’m sure we can make it every bit as special as it was…if not more so.

We definitely ought to try 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2024, 09:31:01 AM »
@Boydie @PaulAds

So lovely to read such positivity here, guys. For what it's worth, count me in too. Whatever it takes.

@PaulAds If you do decide to extend the format of your podcasts and need help or even a contribution, then please let me know. I would actually be an honour to appear on it :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2024, 10:09:18 AM »
Great to see some ideas percolating! I will be around here more for sure and aiming to help in some small ways.