Lovestruck Runaways

• 13 Replies

mattyoungmusic

• Busker
    • Faircamp/Bandcamp/Youtube
« on: September 16, 2024, 03:56:56 PM »
Hi - I'm brand new to this forum and looking forward to interacting with fellow songwriters.

This song is called Lovestruck Runaways, from my 2023 collection of songs called State of the Art.  It's a song that tries to capture the excitement of the first months of my wife-to-be and my relationship nearly 20 years ago.  We were both new to the UK, excited about all that London had to offer right outside the door, but so distracted by eachother that we often didn't leave the house 'til whatever we'd planned to see was closed! 

I write and record all of my songs for the simple but profound pleasure of it.  I'm not looking for fortune or fame, but just wanting to get the most from life by doing what makes me happy and to meet likeminded people along the way.

The lyrics are in the video, but here's a text version as well:

If I say to you
How are you feeling, and whatcha wanna do
Then you look back at me
Your eyes a little twinkly

So we're late again
It happens just a little more than now and then
But I sure can't complain
So leave us in the sugar cane

I got a real good feeling that it's gonna work out today
Gotta be so careful so the feeling don't go away

We know
That's just how the story goes
In our earliest days
Every time
The feeling is so sublime
Two love-struck runaways

Stepping out tonight
No place to go but we're feeling alright
So let's just chase the glow
And try to never let it go

I got a real good feeling that it's gonna work out today
Gotta be so careful so the feeling don't go away

We know
That's just how the story goes
In our earliest days
Every time
The feeling is so sublime
Two love-struck runaways

Cheers,
Matt

Nick Ryder

• Platinum Album
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2024, 07:39:55 PM »
Hey, @mattyoungmusic

I could tell this was going to be class as soon as it started. So much to like about it.

The production is first class from the arrangement to the backing vocals, vocal effects in the bridge before the chorus and the gorgeous guitars at either side of the stereo.

The chorus has a really interesting and melodic twist. If I had a bit more time I'd work out the chords..... maybe I will tomorrow :)

And the end.... that's a great trick the way you deconstruct it all to leave just the guitars to a fade.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to hearing more of your work!!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2024, 08:40:13 PM »
@mattyoungmusic Welcome to the forum 😀 It’s a delightful slice of sixties influenced psychedelic pop delivered at just the right pace and has some quirky and well thought out ideas. I particularly like how you deliver the backing vocals and enjoyed the whole song. Excellent stuff

icystorm

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2024, 08:56:57 PM »
@mattyoungmusic

This is a very cool song with an eclectic mix of genres spanning different eras. Very good instrumentation, lyrics, lead vocals, arrangement, and harmonies. The mix is super clean and clear. Nice work! I enjoyed listening. :D

Cheers,
Joseph

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2024, 12:20:29 AM »
Welcome along, Matt

This is really very good...loads of great ideas in there wrapped up in quite a quirky 60's style.

When I think of some of the old tat I was coming up with when I first joined the forum...I should be more than a little embarrassed.

This sounds like you certainly know what you're doing.

Excellent stuff!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

mattyoungmusic

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2024, 11:14:36 AM »
Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome, everyone!  That "quirky '60s style" is a regular aspect of my output, despite trying to branch out.  Seems my neural pathways being bathed in Beatles since birth is something that I can't shake!

@PaulAds, I know what you mean.  When I listen to the stuff I was recording even two years ago I'm more than a little embarrassed!

@Nick Ryder - the chorus chords, if you're still curious: Em - C#dim - D - A - G - GbM - Bm

Thanks for listening!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2024, 02:08:32 PM »
Hey @mattyoungmusic - welcome to the forum!

I really enjoyed this.. It does have a lovely 60s feel with the instrumentation and arrangement. It gave me a bit of Tears for Fears as well - perhaps it was the vocal / BV arrangement.

Great lyrics, sweetly done and the melody supports it really well. I too really liked the way that you brought it to a close. Class act!

Hope you enjoy it here - I see you've jumped in with both feet!

K

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2024, 08:55:48 PM »
Hola @mattyoungmusic

Encantada de conocerte!!!
This song has afresh breath, very spontaneous atmosphere and arrangement. Lyrics describe so good this relation!!
It has been a very nice listening, very natural style
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2024, 02:34:27 AM »
Hey there Matty.................Love everything about it!
You have a unique sound that is reminiscent of the Beatles....and others in their sound quality.
Just a Fab recording. Love the mixing. You are great at everything I'm not ;-)
Are you in the UK, now?
                                             -T
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

kevysc

• Stadium Tour
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2024, 10:04:21 AM »
@mattyoungmusic I can only echo what others have said, this is a very accomplished work. Super production and some really interesting chord changes. Great guitar work too. Reminds me a little of the Beatles and (the better) Blur. Very well done, Kevin

mattyoungmusic

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2024, 11:26:54 AM »
@IronKnee Thanks for listening and for the kind words.  I find mixing super interesting up to a point, and then start feeling really weighed down by the things I don't know how to fix/overcome.  I've got a couple friends with proper studio training who I lean on for advice, but I try to be careful of wearing them out with my questions. 

Usually what happens for me with recording/mixing is I start fretting about the process leaving me with not enough time and energy for songwriting.  That's when I call the mix complete  :D

Yes, midwest raised, but been in the UK for about 17 years now.

@kevysc Thanks very much.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 04:27:54 AM »
@IronKnee Thanks for listening and for the kind words.  I find mixing super interesting up to a point, and then start feeling really weighed down by the things I don't know how to fix/overcome.  I've got a couple friends with proper studio training who I lean on for advice, but I try to be careful of wearing them out with my questions. 

Usually what happens for me with recording/mixing is I start fretting about the process leaving me with not enough time and energy for songwriting.  That's when I call the mix complete  :D

Yes, midwest raised, but been in the UK for about 17 years now.

@kevysc Thanks very much.

Good luck to you...and I'll see you around!
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Elvis Nash

• Platinum Album
  • https://nashvillecalifornia.com/listen-page/
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 02:37:47 PM »
Outstanding (hook) . nice job on rocking it out