konalavadome

One of my songs remixed - more acoustic now!!

• 15 Replies

flossie

• Platinum Album
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have decided to remix one of my songs 'Amazing' and I think it sounds better?!!?

But .....now from a production view what can I do to improve the new version as I want to tout it around and I want it to sound really professional :o

Thank you   ;D

http://soundcloud.com/hewood29/amazing-unplugged

That's the new one

This one below is the old one for reference!
http://soundcloud.com/hewood29/amazing

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:06:18 PM »
hi flossie
 i prefer the simplicity of the new one. there are some great vocal parts on the original and it does build beautifully but its expected, soon as you get a whiff of the drums you know where its going..

new ones not so predictable, its simpler but still suggests a possible big production or even more intimate version..more coverable maybe is what i mean..and its beautifully delivered

i do prefer this new version.
what you could add to it i dont know, sounds perfect to me.
your piano sounds crystal, really like it, what make is it if you dont mind me asking ?
great song flossie
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
Ahhh Flossie ;D..Gorgeous, beautiful, sexy,......As for the song  ;D....Loved it ..your voice is just wonderful, your inner beauty is everywhere in this piece.  When I listen to your music I just get this image of my youngest daughter (she's a flossie too) playing and singing just to me, and it brings lumps to my throat everytime...your fathers day song had me crying for a week  ;D  Amazing...what music can do....thank you x ;)
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »

your piano sounds crystal, really like it, what make is it if you dont mind me asking ?

Thanks for the review, I could go even simpler couldn't I, how though , no other instruments, no backing vocals etc?

The piano is a sample from Reason and Record, I use the Grand piano A or B, depends, I then EQ til I like the sound for a particular song. 

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
Ahhh Flossie ;D..Gorgeous, beautiful, sexy,......As for the song  ;D....Loved it ..your voice is just wonderful, your inner beauty is everywhere in this piece.  When I listen to your music I just get this image of my youngest daughter (she's a flossie too) playing and singing just to me, and it brings lumps to my throat everytime...your fathers day song had me crying for a week  ;D  Amazing...what music can do....thank you x ;)

OOh you get me every time ;D, I'm such a sucker for your lovely comments!!! Well it's not me it's my gorgeous baby sister, but she sang it for my mum and dad, so it is very genuine xxx

I do like to make a man cry  ;)
Flossie is my little girl's (now a teenager) nickname! I have adopted it cos I like it very much!
x

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 01:46:54 AM »
Hiya :)
I'm with Nooms on this Flossie. I think it is better than the first for the same reasons.
I wouldn't strip it any more, I think it's spot on, as it is.
The only thing I could hear being added here and there, if it's done well, is a nice warm cello.
Great song floss.  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
I didn't hear the original but this sounds lovely. Very uncluttered, clean piano and vocal.

I really like the piano, gorgeous :)

travis

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
Beautiful voice, nice song best of luck with it
Travis

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 05:47:53 PM »
Hi Flossie

Beautiful piano and vocal.  The piano is so emotive.  Flossie, you really have the knack of writing beautiful, heartfelt songs.

Tips on Production - Not really sure what to say.  a good producer will be able to enhance this as would the addition of several quality musicians.  From what I've heard, I think that this song stands up perfectly as it is.  Surely a decent producer will be able to hear this.  It's all about the quality of the songwriting and you have nailed that perfectly!

Excellent writing!

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
Thanks everybody for the feedback.  I will try and leave it alone now, I can still hear stuff that I'm not entirely happy about but save forking out for studio time, it will have to do!

xxx

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 01:32:27 AM »
I have heard this one before, its very strong writing in its style. Its a little too sugary for me.

Clear production for the most part. You have clipped the piano and the vocal in places (unless the samples are flawed to start with?) Not sure how without seeing your chain, but there are myriad artefacts darted around. Be careful with levels and compression settings

I also prefer the open simplicity of the newer mix

Solid playing and singing throughout
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »
Lovely song and great performance

If you are intending to tout this around I have to be honest and say that I think you have gone the wrong way with stripping the song down as any "A&R" would want to hear the finished product rather than having to imagine what the finished product would sound like

However, having listened to the original I think you have a better base to work the track up in whatever direction you want to take it

The song itself is lovely and I wouldn't change a thing for "artistic" reasons

For "commercial" reasons you may want to consider shortening the first chorus a little to keep the track moving

The piano is particularly nice and the shimmer percussion fits perfectly

Depending on whether you are looking to sell the "song" or make it yourself as an artist would depend what you do with it

If you want to be the artist you can be a bit "bolder" with the production and perhaps leave it exactly as it is, which is beautiful

If you want to tout the song, the thing to do now (IMHO) is really think long and hard about what you want to do with the track - take your "artistic" hat off for a second and put on a "money & sales focussed A&R / record company" hat on

What existing artist could have a hit with this song?

What do they use in their production / arrangement

This should help to guide where to take the track both from an artistic point of view and in a touting point of view - e.g. traget the record company, publisher of the artist you think would sign it

I wish you the best of luck with the song and please keep us posted with what you do with it
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

JackalBoy

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 12:52:47 AM »
Hi Flossie,

I think the title of this song sums it up very well. It's very simple yet the powerful song. I really enjoy the chorus purely for the fact that there are no complex metaphors etc its straight to the point and I think that's what makes it so powerful, along with the chords.

I completely agree with Boydie's comment on sound cloud the intro is beautiful, I was pulled in after only a few seconds. I am a sucker for soft melodic songs.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Kafla

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
Always a pleasure to hear your songs Flossie

I just love you voice and your spirit - you get a feel for people on here - an intuition and I think you are a great person

Now the song - brilliant - the melody floats over the top of the chords like a wind surfer

This is commercial balladry at its highest level - should be the x factor winners song and I mean that as a compliment

Andy

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »

Clear production for the most part. You have clipped the piano and the vocal in places (unless the samples are flawed to start with?) Not sure how without seeing your chain, but there are myriad artefacts darted around. Be careful with levels and compression settings

Well James now, I really need a translator here!!! This is what I want to improve on too, I just compress the whole song afterwards, so I can get it louder that's it, am I not supposed to do that? (I know please be patient!!!)

I think the title of this song sums it up very well. It's very simple yet the powerful song. I really enjoy the chorus purely for the fact that there are no complex metaphors etc its straight to the point and I think that's what makes it so powerful, along with the chords.

I completely agree with Boydie's comment on sound cloud the intro is beautiful, I was pulled in after only a few seconds. I am a sucker for soft melodic songs.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Thank you, I really can't write lyrics any other way... >:( one day maybe!) I always seem to feature the piano eventually!

Boydie, your post is too long (but very helpful) to quote,yet it's full of useful of advice for which I am very grateful by the way and will definitely implement  ;D  I think you are right about that first chorus too! I just shrivel when it comes to building a bigger production... gulp!

Always a pleasure to hear your songs Flossie

I just love you voice and your spirit - you get a feel for people on here - an intuition and I think you are a great person

Now the song - brilliant - the melody floats over the top of the chords like a wind surfer

This is commercial balladry at its highest level - should be the x factor winners song and I mean that as a compliment

Andy

Kaf you are particularly lovely, This is definitely a mutual admiration!!! Thank you so much for the boost, I've missed you where have you been? Oh and I love your use of imagery above (windsurfer!) , write me some lyrics right now!!!
x