Ballad of Old Gypsy Jack - collab Joe Black

• 18 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 17, 2014, 03:09:23 PM »
When I read the first lines of the lyrics that Joe posted in the collaboration section in Feb asking for someone to put them to music I was hooked.

I've kept it pretty simple and not tried to polish it so the focus is on the storyline.
https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/the-ballard-of-ojg-master-6-june-2014
Anyway I hope you like it and look forward to your comments and suggestions
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »
Hi Neil,

Great harmonica playing, singing and production. It rolls along nicely and sounds easy and relaxed. These lyrics sound very much like you wrote them which is I guess what attracted you to the song. It's very much in that reportage style that you write in.

I like to hear story songs on the forum and this is a good one.

M

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »

YEAH THIS IS A CRACKING TALE

loved the harmonica in this
 put a clear picture in my head
 there were a few words that seemed a little
 fumbly to say but over all really nice collab on this guys

a well written piece lyrically sound

good one guys

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 05:09:16 PM »
Hi Neil,

Good storytelling song. I've always had a soft spot for songs like Rocky Raccoon, so this struck a chord with me.
Not an awful lot i can say. Your playing and production are always top notch. The vocals had your distinctive lilt and charm. The harmonica - quality.

Good stuff.

Digger

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »
Hey Neil, I'm delighted that you decided to do this. I read it at the time and thought that the bloke deserved to have this lyric set to music by somebody. I thought about having a go was too immersed in my own stuff at the time.  Good! I would never have done it anywhere as well as you have.

Has your trademark rolling rhythm and that harp playing is super!

Yes, this is a great story for a song and you've done a great job of bringing it to life.

Nice one.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
When I read the first lines of the lyrics that Joe posted in the collaboration section in Feb asking for someone to put them to music I was hooked.

I've kept it pretty simple and not tried to polish it so the focus is on the storyline.
https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/the-ballard-of-ojg-master-6-june-2014
Anyway I hope you like it and look forward to your comments and suggestions
Neil

This is such an excellent write and the music was great. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
G
Poet and Lyricist always looking to collaborate. Write mostly out the box lyrics in most genres.
Amateur model, painter, love ceramics and sculpture. Make teddy bears, do belly dancing and love gardening especially roses

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 10:15:22 AM »
the soundcloud pic to the song is super cool.

I think the instruments fit all very well. the harmonica is my fav.

Tx for sharing

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »

enjoyed this ..good match of words and music,  set kind of traditionally..with nice harp...
good story and love the pic, would work with an old silent black and white movie..
vocals a natural fit and comes over clear tho i think the phrasings a little crowded in places
good sound overall and i admire the way you get that unhurried feel, its quality and common to a lot your songs and always works a treat..

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 11:16:18 AM »
Hi Neil,perfectly judged accompaniment to the lyrical style. Love the harmonica, how do you do that, when I try to play one it sounds like an asthmatic hippo :D. Right up your street and sounds like one of your lyrics too. Some words were a bit rushed to fit, but I think you could polish that aspect up a bit.
Nice one Neil!
Cheers
Jamie

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »
Great story and lyrics

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »
Thanks for listening and your comments.
Its great to get positive feedback especially when you writing to someone else's lyrics. I get the point about a couple of the lines being a bit hurried but i wanted to stay true to the original words and tried to sing around them.
And nice comments about feel and the harp playing. The truly odd thing is I really only played very occasionally, maybe not for years. Even over the last couple since I've been active on the forum I only ever play when a song needs it... I wish singing was that easy!
Neil

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 11:57:23 PM »
I LOVE the grove on this

That bass sound is fantastic

I was hearing some female "oooh" backing vocals in places

The harmonica is perfect with a great "hooky" melody

It is great that you have stuck to the original lyric and it is great hearing these lyrics come to life

Great stuff
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 06:54:44 AM »

Hi Neil
               Love the Harmonica bass drums in fact all instrumentation.. Your vocals as ever are very relaxed & convey the lyrics terrifically. The  lyrics are very good  & I  like your style bud :)
                                    Great to hear you interpret those nice lyrics into a song  :)

Thumbs  up!  gr8   Stylus :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:12:17 PM »
Boydie and stylus,
Thanks for your comments. I do enjoy playing the bass and glad the grove and lyrics and all worked. Plus the harp! And thanks to Joe for the lyrics, I think it was his first and only write.
Neil

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »
I like what you've done putting a melody to these lyrics and bringing the story to life. The harp sounds so cool and as usual the recording is top notch.
I think maybe you could have made a few minor lyric changes so some phrases would be more natural to sing, but you've got such laid-back charm in your vocals it really isn't a big issue.
BTW - I know you can't copyright a title, but there is a song out there will a similar one:
The Ballad of Gypsy Jack by  The Travelin' Bluesman
I don't think it is well known so no worries there.
Nice one!
Paul